Here are Dividend Channel‘s selections for the most interesting, high-yield stocks related to real estate:
10. Arbor Realty Trust (ABR) (Recent yield: 7.05%)
9. AG Mortgage Investment Trust (MITT) (13.04%)
8. PennyMac Mortgage Investment Trust (PMT) (9.99%)
7. Dynex Capital (DX) (10.99%)
6. Capstead Mortgage (CMO) (11.14%)
5. MFA Financial (MFA) (11.20%)
4. Northstar Realty Finance (NRF) (10.77%)
3. CreXus (CXS) (10.33%)
2. New York Mortgage Trust (15.57%)
1. Ellington Financial (EFC) (12.73%)
Bear in mind that this is Dividend Channel’s ranking, not Llenrock’s, and that it isn’t intended as investment advice. So, there’s you’re disclaimer.
We gave you a bit of a spoiler last week when we discussed Dividend Channel’s similar ranking of the Top 10 High-Yield Mortgage REITs, so if you’re getting a bit of deja vu from the above ranking, that’s why. Literally all but one company from last week’s list are ranked here as well, though in a slightly different order. This highlights the tremendous yields that mortgage REITs (as opposed to equity REITs) have been experiencing of late.
While these trusts keep diverse portfolios, including both mortgage- and asset-backed securities tied to residential and commercial real estate, it seems pretty clear that the revival of CMBS has had a lot to do with these REITs’ current prosperity. To get an idea of how such firms were performing when CMBS activity had vanished, take a look at the dividend history chart for NorthStar Realty Finance, a firm which focuses primarily on CRE debt. 2009 even hurts to look at!